1. Contact your solicitor and tell them what offence(s) you have been charged with and when you’re in court.
2. In good time before your first appearance, see your solicitor to arrange the funding in your case; either legal aid or how much you need to pay to be represented.
3. Arrive early at court to allow as much time as possible to go through the prosecution’s evidence prior to your case being called on.
4. If you are pleading not guilty, provide your solicitor with details of any potential defence witnesses as soon as possible so that they can be contacted by the solicitor.
5. If you think you will be pleading guilty, it may help your case to obtain character references or other documents about you; ask your solicitor if these would be useful and try to provide copies of anything you want to rely on in advance of the hearing.
If you require any legal advice, please contact the Crime Department on: 01204 540900