We are committed to providing a high quality legal service to all of our clients.
When something goes wrong, we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.
OUR COMPLAINTS PROCEDURE
If you have a complaint, please contact the person dealing with your matter. If however you do not wish to contact the person dealing with your matter, please contact our Senior Partner, Mr John Birtwell. You can contact him in writing at
Fieldings Porter, Silverwell House, Silverwell Street, Bolton, BL1 1PT.
Our Senior Partner will then pass your complaint to the Head of the Department involved in your matter.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT
1. We will send you a letter acknowledging your complaint and asking you to confirm or explain details on a Complaint Form if necessary. We will also let you know the name of the person who will be dealing with your complaint. You can expect to receive our letter within seven days of our receiving your complaint.
2. We will record your complaint in our central register.
3. Within seven days of receiving your reply to our acknowledgement letter, we will confirm what will happen next.
4. We will then start to investigate your complaint. This may involve one or more of the following steps:-
- We may ask the member of staff who acted for you to reply to your complaint within seven days unless you have indicated that you do not wish to deal with him/her.
- We may examine their reply and the information in your complaint. We may then ask them to provide more information which could take up to seven days from our receiving their reply and the file.
- If we need more time to get to the bottom of your complaint, if it is particularly complex, we will let you know in writing.
5. Once we have all the details that we need, we will then attempt to resolve your complaint and this may involve a discussion with you. In any event we will write to you to confirm what has taken place and any solution we have agreed with you or proposed to you. If it is not possible for us to resolve your complaint, we will send you a detailed reply which will include our suggestions for resolving the matter. This will happen within seven days of us completing our investigation.
6. At this stage if you are still not satisfied, you can write to us again. We will then arrange to review our decision, and this will happen in one of the following ways:-
- The person dealing with the matter internally will review his/her own decision within seven days, or
- We will arrange for somebody within the Firm who has not been involved in your complaint to review it. They will do this within ten days or,
- We will invite you to agree an independent mediation.
You will be informed in all cases how long this process will take.
7. Within seven days of the end of our review, we will let you know the result. At this time we will write to you confirming our final decision on your complaint and explaining our reasons. If you are still not satisfied, you can contact the Legal Ombudsman of P O Box 15870, Birmingham, B30 9EB
(telephone number 0300 555 0333). Please note that you must register any complaints about our decision with the Legal Ombudsman within six months of our final decision.
8. If we have to change any of the timescales above, you will be informed and we will explain the reasons why.