Peter has been outstanding
Mrs B, Manchester
Where/when you studied: Canon Slade Secondary School, The University of Birmingham and Manchester Metropolitan University
Professional expertise before joining the firm: None
When you joined the firm: September 1997
Department responsibilities: Partner in the Civil Litigation Department
Areas of special legal expertise: Clinical Negligence for claimants, inquests arising out of medical negligence
Committees or organisations:
- Duty Solicitor
- Higher Rights of Audience (Criminal)
- University of Bolton, Law Advisory Board member
Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence:
- Froggatt v LEP International Ltd  EWCA Civ 600 (17 April 2002)
- JS (2018) - Admitted failure to have a repeat CT scan which would have identified pancreatic cancer sooner.
- JE (2018) - Client took too many tablets as given by home carers resulting in overdose and hospital treatment. Breach of duty of care admitted and compensation paid.
- WA (2018) - Alleged negligence in gallbladder removal surgery resulting in ongoing pain and admitted failure to remove Aquacel pack requiring further surgery.
- AG (2017) - Incorrect administration intravenously of pain relief causing unnecessary suffering and prolonged hospital stay. Breach of duty of care admitted and compensation paid.
- GT (2017) - Failure to implement and update a falls risk register led to admitted breach of duty of care following two avoidable falls which resulted in a fractured hip, surgery, prolonged hospital stay and requirement of home modifications.
- JE (2016) - Fatal Accidents claim arising from hospital's failure to identify norovirus which resulted, whilst an in-patient, in her untimely death. Breach of duty of care admitted.
- AA (2015) - Opiate dependency arising from GP's failure to refer and treat. Breach of duty of care admitted. Settlement of £100,000 achieved.
- DP (2015) - Hospital trust's failure to interpret x-ray resulted in failure to diagnose cancer which led to a 4 month delay in treatment. Compensation paid to the estate.
- MR (2015) - Hospital failed to remove a foreign body following operation causing infection and extensive pain and suffering and delay in the healing process.
- KW (2016) - Hospital consultant misdiagnosed and then wrongly prescribed disease modifying drugs. Liability admitted and compensation paid.
- CD (2016) - Prescription of penicillin to allergic patient at hospital. Consumption of two tablets caused violent vomiting and sickness for a number of days after stomach operation. Breach of duty of care admitted and compensation paid.
- R v L (2009) – As advocate successfully defended care assistant charged with theft from the lady for whom she was caring, who was in her 80's. 6 day trial at Bolton Crown Court.
- R v W (December 2010) – As advocate achieved acquittal after 2 day trial at Manchester Crown Court. Self defence to an affray on Bradshawgate, Bolton.
- R v M (November 2010) - As advocate achieved acquittal after 2 day trial at Manchester Crown Court. Self defence to allegation involving headbutt and punch.
- R v M (September 2010) – Acted as advocate in 7 defendant unlawful immigration case at Manchester Crown Court resulting in 2 years 6 months following guilty plea.
- R v A (November 2010 – February 2011) – Instructing solicitor in 4 defendant case at Manchester Crown Court. Client charged with assisting an offender in murder trial.
- R v A (January 2012) - Advocate in 9 defendant violent disorder. Prosecution offer bind over after 5 days of the trial.
- R v S (February 2012) - Trial Advocate in successful alibi defence to actual bodily harm group attack, at Bolton Crown Court.
- R v H (October 2012) - 8 month sentence at Bolton Crown Court for Vietnamese cannabis gardener following admissions and guilty plea in the Magistrates Court. 400 plants, street value worth £132,000.
- R v W (October 2012) - Advocate in 4 day trial at Manchester Crown Court with father alleged to have strangled 8 year old son. Cross examination of the child over video-link. Unanimous not guilty verdict.
- R v M (May 2013) - Advocate in 3 day trial for sexual activity in the presence of a child - visible from street outside through lounge window. Unanimous acquittal.
- R v M and others (January 2014) - Advocate in 10 plus defendant conspiracy to defraud VAT at Manchester Crown Court. >£3m fraud. Following a guilty plea on a basis, 12 month suspended sentence with 12 week curfew.
Where educated: Canon Slade Secondary School, The University of Birmingham and Manchester Metropolitan University
First job: Waiter
Hobbies: Football, cricket, music
Favourite food: Anything cooked by my wife
Favourite film: Strangers on a train/ ET
Favourite group/artist: Mahler, Bruckner, Mozart
Ultimate holiday destination: Everest Base Camp/ Trans-Siberian Railway
Favourite sport/team: Bolton Wanderers
Favourite book: Crime and Punishment/ A Confederacy of Dunces
Likes: A job well done, having a rest, holidays, dinner parties
Dislikes: A job done poorly, litter, unnecessary legislation
Personal ambition: To try to be successful in all I do and to enjoy life in the process, oh and to dive with a Great White Shark and to play Second Horn in the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (well First Horn would be stretching it too far!)