For all your legal challenges...

We're here to help


Dissolution of Civil Partnership & Associated Financial Matters

At Fieldings Porter we understand that the breakdown of a civil partnership can be an emotional and stressful experience. Our experienced team includes members of the Law Society Family Law Accreditation Scheme, the Law Society Children Law Accreditation Scheme and Resolution.

You can apply to end a civil partnership if you have been in the civil partnership for more than 1 year; this is known as a dissolution order. To end a civil partnership, you must ask the court for permission by sending paperwork. Some agreements which need to be sorted include child maintenance and arrangements and how you want to divide your money and property. If your partner doesn’t agree to the dissolution order, or any agreements aren’t successful, Fieldings Porter can assist.

We can offer advice in relation to dissolution proceedings and also in relation to associated financial matters including:

  • Maintenance
  • Periodical payments
  • Lump sum orders
  • Property adjustment orders (including a sale or transfer of a property)
  • Pension sharing
  • Issues where one civil partner appears to be disposing of assets

What are our fees?

We appreciate that every case is different and we therefore offer a bespoke level of service in relation to all matters. Under this scheme we charge clients at an hourly rate for the work that we do for them.

We also offer fixed fees in some areas or we can assess your eligibility for legal aid. For more information on our fees, please click here. If you think you might be eligible for legal aid, please click here for a link to the legal aid eligibility calculator, or alternatively, contact us for an assessment.

We also appreciate that thinking about what steps you should be taking is a daunting prospect with many people, understandably, not knowing where to start. With this in mind we offer a consultation of up to an hour with one of our solicitors which, is followed up by a written letter of advice for £200 plus VAT.


If you want any further advice about a dissolution of a civil partnership or associated financial matters then please do not hesitate to contact us.